Check out these wholesale items from china images:

BA – Bristol Street Directory 1871

Image by brizzle born and bred
Mathews’ Bristol Street Directory 1871

1871 Backfields, St. Paul’s

The 1828 plan of Bristol, shows the circular stables at Back Fields.The stables were the home of the first riding school in Bristol opened by R.C.Carter in 1761. This school consisted of circular stables around an open area or ampitheatre which is likely to have been used for training riders for Astley’s ‘circus’. It was also used for the public performance of equestrian tricks and is widely accepted as the originator of the modern circus.

In 1834 the circular stables had become Bristol’s first circus and continued in use until being destroyed by fire in 1895. Archaeologists working on the site have established that structural remains of the stables survive below ground and these have been preserved beneath the new development on the site.

G. Bailey, engineer, etc.
Miss Emma Kerby, cork manufacture
George and James Phelps, maltsters
Henry B. Hurst, 8 Backfields
J . Norman Brown, builder

1871 Back Hill or Stile Lane (Old Park Hill)

Medical School area of the University of Bristol, Stile Lane and Vine Row

Medical School
Charles C. Legge, Rock Cottage
Robert Shaw, 2 Old Park House
John Payne, Old Park House
Thomas Symes
William Payne
George R. Cannington, Park cottage
Henry Hodder, gardener
J . Thomas
James Gouldstone
John Howell

1871 Back Street

This street was renamed Queen Charlotte Street.

Windsor Castle

Susannah Summers, Windsor Castle (pub)
Samuel Atkinson, marine store
Fear Brothers, flour factors
William Gillett, gasfitter
William Barrett, marine store dealer

Old Duke

E. Ball, Old Duke (pub) ? can not find any record of this public house.
Jeptha Feltham, haulier
B. Bell, shopkeeper
Joseph & William Turner, warehousemen
W. Hassell, shopkeeper
Emily Curtis, grocer
Elizabeth Bradford, shopkeeper

Kings Head

Caroline Herbert, Kings Head (pub)
St. Nicholas National School
Adolphus Jenkins, shopkeeper

St. Dogmell’s Arms

Timothy Sambrook, beer retailer St. Dogmell’s Arms (pub) 1865 – 72 Timothy Sambrook / 1872 to 1875 Mary Ann Sambrook / 1876 Robert Cridland / 1877 – 78 W. Bosley previously named the Plume of Feathers. Timothy Sambrook was born in St.Dogmell’s, Pembrokeshire

Morning Star

Alexander Fraser, Morning Star (pub) 1861 – 65 Dennis Meehan / 1866 to 1868 R. Coombs / 1869 Jane Boles / 1871 – 72 Alexander Fraser / 1874 Peter Groves 1875 Richard Turner / 1876 to 1877 George Gardner / 1878 Frederick Ham.

Robert Genge, shopkeeper

Old Bell

George Stockham, Old Bell (pub) 1852 Mary Roberts / 1853 Thomas Stockholm / 1859 – 63 Mrs. Elizabeth Stockholm / 1866 – 74 George Stockholm 1875 to 1876 Elizabeth Stockholm / 1877 Walter Frost / 1878 Patrick Lucey.

Elizabeth Jones, fishmonger
William Charles Glasson
William Jones, newsvendor

Stags Head

Uriah Marshalsea, Stags Head (pub) 1847 – 48 Robert Pike / 1849 – 56 Thomas Birth / 1858 T. Skelton / 1863 – 65 Daniel Taylor / 1866 to 1868 H. Taylor 1869 – 77 Uriah Marshalsea.

Josiah Williams, hair dresser

Hop Pole

Edward Grigg, Hop Pole (pub) 1806 Ann Wesson / 1822 – 23 Richard Briffett / 1826 James Cawthorn / 1828 E. Davis / 1830 – 32 Samuel Stephens 1833 to 1834 Elizabeth Stephens / 1835 to 1845 James Cantle / 1847 F. Harris / 1849 T. E. Wookey / 1850 George Ellis 1851 F. Burleton / 1853 William Welsh / 1854 William Mofey / 1855 – 56 Henry Lloyd / 1858 to 1860 T. E. Wookey 1861 to 1866 William Pobjoy / 1867 – 69 Eliza Pobjoy / 1871 – 78 Edward Grigg – Edward Grigg was a carpenter and innkeeper.

1871 Back Avon Walk, Temple Gate, near Temple Street

Back Avon Walk or Pipe Lane, is shown on 1828 Ashmead map, off Temple Gate. It was demolished when Victoria Street was built. A small part of the lane still exists now named Port Wall Lane East.

1871 Back or Welsh Back, Bristol Bridge to Grove

In olden times Welsh products arrived by private boats and were sold at the Goose Market building on the waterside. That was demolished in 1854. The word ‘back’ could have come from the Saxon word ‘bak’ which means river. The Llandoger Trow just off Welsh back also has an obvious Welsh connection with a Trow being a flat bottomed boat which was very common in the Bristol channel. Llandodo is a village on the Welsh side of the river Wye near to Chepstow.

1871 Back of Blackboy, Durdham Down

See Blackboy Hill

1871 Back Lane, Victoria Road, Bedminster

British School, Back Lane, Bedminster

For 130 boys and 130 girls in 1848., by 1854 150 boys and 110 girls, by 1861 250 boys and 250 girls.. In 1864 at the inspection by HM Waddington 98% of the children passed.

Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc:

Mr Kerry (Master), Miss Skinner (Mistress) 1848
Mr J T Turner (Master) 1854
Mr Cook (Master) 1861

In 1872 Richard Nation who had been a pupil teacher at the school gained a Queen’s Scholarship 1st class at Borough Road College. He was presented with a writing desk by the teachers and scholars ‘as a mark of esteem’. He later also became a Methodist preacher as well as a schoolmaster.

In March 1891 William J Bees, formerly scholar and pupil teacher here successfully passed 1st class London University matriculation examination.

1871 Back Hall Steps, Nicholas Street to Baldwin Street

St Nicholas Church Steps, The Back (the steps are still there today)

1871 Bailey’s Folly, or Bayley’s Buildings, St. Philip’s Marsh

A row of cottages built & owned by Joseph Bailey 1851, of No. 5, Bailey’s Folly, Saint Philip’s Marsh, in the parish of Saint Philip and Jacob, in the city and county of Bristol, and of No. 11, Avon cottages, Saint Philip’s Marsh. Joseph Bailey a Trow and Barge Owner, Waterman, Carrier, and Builder, and landlord letting unfurnished apartments.

1871 Baker’s Court, Great Ann Street, St Philips

See Great Ann Street

1871 Baker’s Court, Church Lane, Temple

off Church Lane, near Temple Church

1871 Baldwin Street, Bristol Bridge to Corn Street

Henry Poole, solicitor
Sidney Sprod and Son, auctioneers
Henry Hill, printer
John Wills, colonial broker
James Allen Jones, solicitor
F. V. Jacques, solicitor
J. B. Power, wood engraver
Danger & Cartwright, solicitors
W. Wise, solicitor
Parnell and Salt, solicitors
W. Buzzard & Co. colonial brokers
Jacob Curtis, brass founder
George Hodgson, wine merchant
Baldwin street hall, J. and R. Bush
C. Garton, Russell and Co. brewers
J. C. Hoek, printer
Taylor Bros., printers
Humphry Newman, beer retailer
Thomas Lang and Co. iron merchants
Weaver, Hampson & Co. wholesale grocers
Hassell and Cogan, leather factors
Tuckett and Rake, leather factors
William H. Bucknall, fishmonger
Hy. Regan, fish and fruit merchant
Thomas Davies & Co. leather factors
John Barry, fish and fruit merchant
Young’s Paraffin Light Co.
Johanna L. Karbowsky, Ship (pub)
William Herniman & Co., fishmongers and fruiterers

King’s Arms

Walter Greenland, King’s Arms (pub)
Richard Lander Williams, spirit dealer
Fry & Co. leather factors
John Barry, fishmonger
Cox & Co. leather factors & tanners
J. Bigwood, fish & fruit merchant

The Old Fish Market pub in Baldwin Street, left, was once home to Bigwood’s fish retailer…

Nath. Cook and Son, salt merchants
Lavington & Co. wine merchts
Charles Nichols & Co. leather merchants and boot manufacturers
Richard Jones, wine and spirit mercht
Simons and Co. wholesale druggists
Henry Edwards, wine merchant
Robert Oxley & Co. wine merchants
Rowley & Co. wine and spirit merchants
S. J. Kepple, glass merchant
Bessell and Sons, bookbinders
Edwin Byerley, carver and gilder
George Colston Hensley, shipwright
Berryman & Co. brewers – agent, E. C. Parsons
Mrs Stowell, twine dealer
Mary Murray, beer retailer
William Weeks, accountant

1871 Ballard’s Court, Great Ann Street, St. Philips

See Great Ann Street, St. Philips

1871 Balloon Court, Wilder Street, St. Paul’s

Wilder Street – The land here was owned by a Peter Wilder and developed in the first half of the 18th century. In 1793 some cottages were built here and called Balloon Court to celebrate the first balloon flight by the Montgolfier brothers.

Bannerman Road

Built 1877. Bannerman Road was once known as St Mark’s Lane. The school is undergoing massive rebuilding during 2000-1

1871 Baptist Place, Baptist Mills

See Baptist Mills

1871 Baptist Street, Baptist Mills

William Humphries, grocer

Potters Arms

Henry William Capel, Augustus Place, Potters Arms (pub) 1848 – 53. Gowin Murray / 1855. P. Pincombe / 1857 – 60. Henry Bessell / 1863 – 65. Henry Ballard / 1871 – 74. Henry Capel
1875 – 76. Harriet Hughes / 1879. Charles Gardner / 1881 – 82. Joseph Nipper / 1882. Luke Barnes / 1883. Henry Gamlin

(Bedford Place)

William Hammond
G. J. Merchant
George Bryant
John Clark, brick maker

1871 Barcroft Place, Old Market Street

1871 Barleyfields, Upper Cheese Lane, St. Philips

Upper Cheese Lane (now named New Kingsley Road) Barleyfields was the site of the iron works and later an council infants’ school, in 1911 the master was W. E. Braund and the infants’ mistress was Miss Hurford (now named Hannah More primary school)

Barley Fields was situated quite close to the Floating Harbour and a turn-of-the-century map shows school buildings situated in an open space between Upper Cheese Lane, Jubilee Street and Louisa Street. Opposite the school in Upper Cheese Lane were Hemp and Flax Mills and Iron Works.

1871 Barnabas Place, Ashley Road

See Ashley Road

1871 Barnabas Terrace, Ashley Road to City Road, Stokes Croft

William John Williams, upholsterer
Frederick Richard Sidway

Coach and Horses

Frederick Ogborn, Coach and Horses (pub)
Thomas Evans, shopkeeper
William Rocket Chapman
John Bastow
William Dyer
John Henry Paul
Abraham Seaton, school-stationer
James R. Daniels, accountant
Samuel ‘Woodington, com-trav

1871 Barnard Place, Hillsbridge Parade, Clarence Road, Bedminster

See Clarence Road, Bedminster

1871 Barnet Place, Cumberland Basin

See Cumberland Basin

1871 Barnett’s Court, Lawrence Hill

See Lawrence Hill

1871 Barr’s Street, Milk Street to St. James Barton

Barr’s Street (Lane until 1848) – Milk Street to St James’s Barton – demolished and built over post-war for Broadmead Shopping Centre

Thomas Weeks, saddler
Mrs Thomas Weeks, furrier
Leodgare Meyer, garment manufacturers
John Lowe, basket maker
Robert Middleton, boot maker
Mardon, Son, and Hall, printers
Chard & Sons, corn & seeds
W. C. Pearce, watchmaker
James Willey, timber yard
James Collins, jeweller
William Fowler
Hall & Pedder, lamp manufacters
Charles Fisher, wine & spirit merchant
Milton, Morton, and Curnow, provision dealers
F. Cordeaux, carpet warehouse
James Cottrell, saddler
Charles T. Evans, trunk maker
William Cottrell, china warehouse
William Cottrell, ladder maker
Robert Way, greengrocer

White Horse

Richard Cowle, White Horse (pub) On the corner with the Barrs Street, across the road from the Plume of Feathers, in 1953 Barrs Street was closed and The White Horse pulled down, the whole area is now covered by Debenhams department store. The hotel is shown here awaiting demolition.

1871 Barrington Villas, Alma Road, Clifton

See Alma Road

1871 Barrosa Place, Guinea Street

See Guinea Street

1871 Barrow Court, Wade Street, St. Philips

See Wade Street

1871 Barrow Lane, Barton Hill

See Barton Hill

1871 Barrows Lane, Redcliff Street

See Redcliff Street

1871 Bartlett Buildings, Redcliff Street

See Redcliff Street

1871 Bartley Street, Philips Street, Bedminster

See Philips Street

1871 Bartlett’s Lane, West Street, Bedminster

See West Street, Bedminster

Barton Alley – widened in 1860s and became Bond Street

1850 Barton Court, St Philips

corner of Union Road and Barton Road

1871 Barton Court, Barton Street, St James Barton

See Barton Street, St James Barton

1850 Barton Street, St Philips

now Barton Vale

1871 Barton, Street. James’s churchyard, North Street

See North Street

1871 Barton Street, St James Barton to Charles Street

Barton Warehouses, Corner of St James Barton and Barrs Street (Department Store)

General drapers and house furnishers, this was a very large store. Among items sold were flannelettes and underclothing, carpet squares, umbrellas, jackets and capes, ribbons and braids. floorcloth, corsets, tea cosies and dressing gowns. Blitzed 1940.

1871 Barton Hill, St. Philips Marsh to St. Georges

William Edward Day, physician and surgeon, Barton hill house
Rev. J. W. Lewis, St Luke’s parsonage

Royal Table

William Hooper, vict, Royal Table (pub) Barton Hill Road.

William Hurst, grocer
James Dobson
T. Manning
William Davis
R. B. Edgeworth, Barton villa
George Hazell, senr. market gardener
T. Church, jun. –
J. Warren, beer retailer

Rhubarb Tavern

Thomas Church, crucible maker and beer retailer (pub), Rhubarb Tavern, Queen Ann Road. 1861 – 89. Thomas Church / 1891 – 92. Joshua Eccleston / 1894 – 97. Joseph Eccleston / 1899. Capt.William Janes 1901. Joseph W. Janes / 1904 – 06. David Evans / 1914. Jenkin Jones / 1917 – 31. Catherine Evans / 1935 – 38. Henry Whitfield 1944. Charles Moore / 1950. William Davey / 1953. Thomas Greenslade / 1960. W. H. Bullock.

Francis Hurd, coal merchant
Enoch Goodrope
Alfred Niblett Brown, china-ware manufacturer
Great Western Cotton Works, Limited – managing Director, Charles F. Sage
James Haynes
Richard Burton
Bayley and Fox, timber merchants and contractors
George Tinn, Bristol Iron rolling mills
Chandler & Tanner, maltsters
John Lysaght, corrugated iron works
G. Webb
F. Hamilton, coal agent

1871 Barton Hill Road, Barton Hill

See Barton Hill

1871 Barton Road, Kingsland Road to Cook’s Lane, St. Philips

David Warr, grocer & cabinet maker
Hannah Flock, baker

Duke of York

Elijah Trotman, Duke of York (pub) Dings. 1828. Thomas Norton / 1830 – 44. Joseph Matthias / 1847 – 49. James Bush / 1852 – 58. William P. Bullock / 1860. E. Bullock 1863 – 68. Frederick Giles / 1869. L. Griffiths / 1871. Elijah Trotman / 1872 to 1876. William Rymer / 1877 – 79. Edwin Hallett 1881 – 97. John Westcott / 1899 – 1906. William Tye / 1909. D. Woodman / 1914. Louisa Froom / 1917. Edward Hale 1921 – 25. Arthur Williams / 1928 – 37. Thomas Oaten / 1938 – 44. Edwin Webb / 1950 – 53. Clifford Godfrey / 1975. E. Haines. Now named the Barley Mow.

Joseph Curtis, general dealer
Uriah Hill, blacksmith and wheel-wright
John Williams, haulier & beer ret.


William Shipp, vict, Trout (pub) Cook’s Lane, Barton Road. 1832 – 34. Thomas Nash / 1853 – 69. John Summers / 1871 – 83. William Shipp / 1885. Edward John Shipp / 1886 – 87. Mary Reynolds 1888 – 1901. William Shipp.

Jewish Burial Ground

The Barton Road Cemetery in St. Philips is believed to be the first in Bristol following the return of Jews to England after the expulsion. There is documentary evidence to suggest that it was first established between 1740 – 1750. (The earliest identified tombstone dates from 1762). Because of the restrictions on Jews owning land it was leased for a number of years, finally being acquired by the Bristol Jewish Community on 8th August 1859. It continued in use until the early 1900s with the final burial taking place there in 1944. A fire in an adjoining building in 1901 resulted in one the Cemetery walls being demolished by firemen to gain access to the blazing building. As a consequence, a number of tombstones were toppled and graves flattened. The stones were subsequently removed from where they had fallen and laid against the boundary wall without any record of their original location.

New Inn

James Bendon, beer retailer (pub) New Inn. 1842. George Bull / 1867. James Bendon / 1872 – 78. James Courtney / 1882 – 88. William Comer / 1889. Albert Deacon 1891 – 96. Mary Ann Emma Smart / 1899. Arthur Harold / 1901 – 09. Sarah Ann Sheppard / 1914 – 44. Alfred Hall / 1950. John Baker 1953. William Denford.

George Parton
Charles Davis
M. A. Bryant

1871 Barton Street, St. James Barton

Coach & Horses

Frederick Ogborn, Coach & Horses (pub) 1840 – 44 James Burrows / 1847 J. Evans / 1849 – 67 Thomas Evans / 1868 – 71 Frederick Ogborn / 1872 to 1882 Thomas Farrow 1883 Robert Kendall / 1885 Frederick Hollisey / 1886 William Bamber / 1887 to 1888 Frederick Oxland / 1891 – 93 John Lewton 1896 George Whitlock / 1897 Emma Mary Matthews / 1899 – 1917 Harriett Pyke.

Thomas Evans, shopkeeper

F. Vickery, greengrocer
George Griffiths, bootmaker


Thomas Clark, Lion (pub) 1866 – 78 Thomas Clark / 1879 Ann Clark / 1882 – 89 Henry Rich / 1891 Ann Rich / 1892 – 97 Thomas Cook 1899 – 1901 William Thyer.

Thomas Garland, bootmaker


James Clement, Star (pub) 1854 – 56 John Stacey / 1857 – 58 John Rawlings / 1860 – 69 James Clements / 1871 Amos Tamlyn / 1872 to 1876 John Lewis 1877 Caroline Churchus / 1878 to 1882 John Taylor / 1883 to 1886 John Fidkins / 1887 John Fuge / 1888 – 96 John Hickery 1899 William Turner / 1901 Mrs. M. Davies / 1904 Alfred Morse.

Joseph Harris
?. Clark, shopkeeper
Frederick Drew
Alfred Iles, maltster
David Cotter, haulier and grocer
Amos Tamlyn, Star (see above)
Sarah Barton
Mrs Waltham
Thomas Evans

Derham Brothers

Derham Bros. wholesale shoe manufrs. In 1861, Derham Brothers, wholesale & export boot and shoe manufacturers, were still at 5 & 6 Nelson Street with a manufactory at Barton Street, St James, Bristol.

Derham’s business was started by James and Samuel Derham in the 1830’s or 1840’s, and was among the first to make ready-made footwear. The company moved to Soundwell in 1906 after the earlier factory was destroyed by fire.

1871 Barton Place, Union Road, Dings

See Union Road

1871 Barton Vale, Barton Road, Dings

See Barton Road, Dings

1871 Batch, (the) Old Market to Midland Road, St Philips

Stephen Machin, rag merchant, Vine cottage

Live and Let Live

Caroline Fudge, Live and Let Live, vict (pub) 1861 – 63. John Fudge / 1865 – 85. Caroline Fudge / 1886 – 96. Henry Fudge / 1897 – 1901. Frederick Westlake 1904. Frederick Welsford / 1906. Violet Petheram

H. J . Fudge, saddler and harness maker


George W. H. Morse, beer retailer Volunteer (pub) 1863. John Shorland / 1865. Joseph Mecham / 1867. S. Hosegood / 1869. Alfred Reeves / 1871 – 72. George Morse 1874 – 75. Peregrini Thomas / 1876 – 78. C. Woolridge / 1881 – 82. Edwin Hazell / 1883. Charles Foxwell / 1885. Eleanor Foxwell 1886 to 1891. Levi Wood / 1892. Albert Wakefield / 1896. Frederick Dawes / 1899 – 1901. Edwin Jones / 1904. F. Holmes

Mary Ann Monk, pawnbroker
Joseph Pritchard, butcher
Henry Cuff, tobacconist
Esau Tidman, grocer, etc.
Henry Cuff, hay and straw dealer
J . Williams and Son, outfitters
Josiah Purle, beer retailer
S. Thompson, beer retailer
Mary Ann Haigh, marine stores dealer
J . Cooligan, shopkeeper
Crowley & Co. branch office

1871 Batch Buildings, Lawrence Hlll

See Lawrence Hlll

1871 Bateman Buildings, Whitehouse Street, Bedminster

Thomas Vear, nail manufacturer
Walter Taylor, nail manufacturer

1871 Bath Buildings, Cheltenham road to Reinison’s Baths

Thomas Stevens Power
Elizabeth Bartlett
William Birth, com-trav
Marian Masters
Harry Thomas
Mrs Martha Sidway
Daniel Curtin
Elizabeth Pallin
Henry Williams
William Holloway, baker, etc
Henry Sherborne
William Hocking
Thomas Hunt

Prince of Wales

Chas. Skinner, Prince of Wales, vict (pub)
William Tennear
George Lewis, boot maker

1871 Bath Parade, Temple Gate, near Railway Station

See Temple Gate

1871 Bath Road, Bath Bridge to Brislington

Hare’s oil and color works

New Cattle Market Tavern

Maria Hathway, New Cattle Market Tavern (pub) 1851 – 63. William Jones / 1865. Elizabeth Jones / 1868 – 81. Maria Hathway / 1882 – 83. James Percy / 1885. Nicholas Small 1888 – 92. John Vickery / 1896 William Sheppard / 1897 – 1904. Richard Adams / 1906. William Bryant / 1909. Elizabeth Bailey 1914. James Connick / 1921. William Evans / 1928 – 38. Elsie Lidbury / 1944. Albert Moxham / 1950 – 53. Sidney Stephens later known as the Bath Bridge Tavern.

Exeter Railway Tavern

Felix Davis, Exeter Railway Tavern (pub) 1851. Richard Parish / 1853. James Parish / 1861 – 65. Richard Parish / 1867. Elizabeth Parish / 1869. William Salvidge 1871 – 74. Felix Davies / 1875. S. C. Chapman / 1876 – 85. Felix Davies / 1887 – 92. Emily Jane Davies / 1896. Felix Davies jnr1899 – 1901. Blanche Davies / 1904 – 09. Thomas Sutton / 1914 – 21. Edward Gimblett / 1925 – 28. Frederick Thorne 1931 – 35. Frederick Dodge / 1937 – 38. Arthur Pollett / 1944 – 50. Albert Ball / 1951 – 53. Arthur Waspe.

Bristol & Exeter Goods Station
Bristol and Exeter engine works
James Pearson, Avon Clift house
Mrs William Blackmore, Avon villa
Chagles Burgess, Bath villa
Thomas Bax, Avon cottage
W. Patey, Heber cottage
Joseph Vowles, Avon house
Thomas Harris, Prospect house
John Tovey, painter, etc
Peter A. Knowles, house agent
Samuel Wooles, Stow house
Frederick Whitehorn, stay maker
Edwin Churchus, Totterdown cottage

Blue Bowl

Thomas Wooles, Blue Bowl (pub) 1816. Jacob Naish / 1851. Harriett Wooles / 1853 – 57. Samuel Wooles / 1859 – 60. Charles Norris / 1863 – 71. Thomas Wooles 1872 to 1878. Alexander M. Gordon / 1879 – 88. Thomas Morgan / 1893. Albert Smith Densham / 1896 – 1906. William Vosper jnr 1909. George Charley / 1914 – 21. Charles Featherstone / 1925. Harry Miller / 1928 – 60. George Brett.

Greenway’s Stone cutting yard

(Brislington Crescent)

Francis George Irwin
Richard Pope, engineer
Charles Williain Gregory
E. Lyons, watch maker
Misses Holland
Alfred John Smith
?. Loxton
Henry Williams
Walter Bassett, com-trav
Misses Melsom
Charles H. Johnson
Henry Gregory
David Storer
James Cross Pope, engineer
William Brent Coombs, com-trav
Mrs S. Farler
Mrs M. A Cooke
Arthur James Christmas
Reuben Pain
William Parker
John Owens, grocer
William Miliier
George Bowrey
J. Champ
Lewis Lane
John Rowland Jones
Harry Appleton
Edwin Smith, stone cutter
Smith’s stone cutting yard
T. D. Foxwell, coal merchant, Totterdown wharf
S. E. Smith’s stone cutting yard

Bath Road Hotel

George A. Keighley, Bath Road Hotel (pub)

(Goolden Vale)

John A. Summers
Samuel Poole
Susan Redgrave

Turnpike Inn

Jas. Parfitt, Turnpike Inn (pub) 1869. J. Summers / 1871 – 83. James Parfitt / 1885. F. J. Frappell / 1888 – 1906. Robert Horwill / 1909 – 14. Henry Iles 1917. Alice Iles / 1928 – 31. Marion Jayne / 1935 – 38. Sidney Scott / 1940 – 44. Charles Bertie Lacey / 1950 – 62. Herbert Pegler Charles Lacey’s tenancy commenced on the 4th March 1940 at an annual rent of £60, the landlords were The Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited

Thomas Davy, Hillside house
Abraham Granter, Prospect place
John Welsh, shopkeeper, Devonshire house provision merchants
Abbey house
William Shapland, carpenter
Job Green
Francis Hellier, beer retailer
Mrs Hember, Campbell house
Josh Bullock, Clyde house
H. Wood, Arley house
James Kinghorn, Havelock house
Gladstone house
John Fear
George P. Bissicks
F. Richards, grocer
Sydney Clutterbuck, Ebenezer villa
Neath villa
Harry Tuckett, Tenby villa
William Elphiek, Sydenhain villa
Cremorne house
Thomas Baker, Bath house
George Adams, butcher

New Inn

Charles Iles, New Inn (pub)

Thomas Bryant, boot & shoe maker
George Iles, baker and coiifectioner
John Warley, fruiterer
Clark and Harrison, rope and sacking makers
William Norris, builder & undertaker
Wickham Bros. and Norris, timber merchants.

1871 Bath Street, Bristol Bridge to Temple Street

Talbot Inn & London Inn

C. Nunney, Talbot Inn & London Inn (pub) 1806. Thomas Holloway / 1820 – 31. James Clifton / 1833 – 37. Nancy Clifton / 1839 – 40. Edward Thatcher / 1842 – 48. Joanna Fry 1851 – 61. Michael Batt (proprietor) / 1863 – 65. Henry Weaving / 1868 – 69. Robert Comer / 1871 – 75. James Collins 1877. Miss Linfield (manageress) / 1878. T. C. Stock / 1881 – 96. James Reynolds / 1899 – 1917. Grenville Flower.

James Trowbridge
William Arter, watch maker & jeweller
John Frost, tailor
George G. Cook, hair dresser
Platnauer Bros., clock importers
John Dix, & Co. plate glass manufacturers
Mrs Reed, toy and general dealer
Moses Blanckensee, Birmingham warehouse
Rowland A. Hughes, hat manufactuer

Waggon & Horses

James Beames, Waggon & Horses (pub) (Counterslip North) 1839 – 49. Isaac Ellis / 1851 – 61. William Pople / 1863. Thomas Withy / 1865. William Pople / 1866 – 89. James Beames 1891 – 96. Ellen Adams / 1899 – 1909. Arthur Adams / 1914 – 21. William Adams / 1925 – 37. Frederick Churchill 1938. Mabel Edith Churchill / 1944. H. Hampton / 1950. Albert Boyce / 1953. Albert Young.

Joseph Phillips, smith and gas-fitter
Arthur Butt, Birmingham warehouse
Michael Franks, jeweller, etc

Crystal Palace

Frank Evans Fear, Crystal Palace (pub) 1861 – 63. John Matthews / 1865 – 68. Matthew Hale / 1869. Mary Loader / 1871. Frank Evans Fear / 1872. Alfred Holder 1874. William Watts / 1875 to 1878. Annie Watts / 1879. William Luxton / 1881 – 84. Louisa Haves / 1883. Edwin Sellick 1884. Henry Manning / 1885 to 1886. Charles Edgell / 1887 to 1888. Samuel Warren / 1889. William Evans / 1891. Henry Frollett 1892. William Griffiths / 1893. William Braithwaite / 1896 – 99. George Pearce / 1900. Joseph Gully / 1901. Thomas Lucas Drake 1904. Henry Bush / 1906. Alice Young.

John Davis
Georges & Co., brewers
Joseph Eyre & Co. tea merchants
John Kimble, hat and bonnet maker
Edwin Vaughan, watch maker
William Coombs, bookseller
Nicholls & West, sewing machine manufacturers
John Riseley, porter stores
F & R Deacon & Deacon, hat manufactuers
William George, second-hand bookseller

1871 Bathurst Basin, New Cut

See New Cut

1871 Bathurst Parade, Cumberland Road, Bathurst Basin

James Hill, tea and coffee shop

Steam Packet Tavern

James Morrell, Steam Packet Tavern (pub) 1855 – 63 William George / 1865 – 83 James Morrell / 1887 Samuel Stowe / 1891 – 93 George Labdon / 1896 – 1901 Henry Wilde 1904 – 14 Henry Nichols / 1917 – 21 Ernest Nichols / 1925 – 28 Arthur Watts / 1931 William Cleminson / 1935 – 44 Henry Seal 1950 – 53. Lillian Withy the steam Packet is now a private residence.

Charles Brown, mariner
Samuel Osborne, contractor
Robert J. Barrett, steam packet agent
Alfred Jones, sacrist of St. Raphael’s
George Gay
James Bryant, mariner

1871 Bathurst Terrace, Wapping

William Hird Granite works
Miles Sprickett
William Frost
Charles Salmon, com-trav

Bathurst Hotel

John Saunders, Bathurst Hotel (pub)

1871 Baynton Buildings, Ashton Gate to Long Ashton

See Ashton Gate

BE – Bristol Street Directory 1871

Image from page 477 of “The ideal cook book” (1902)

Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: idealcookbook00greg
Title: The ideal cook book
Year: 1902 (1900s)
Authors: Gregory, Annie R
Publisher: Chicago, American wholesale company
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
them with fine salt, shaking them constantly. They may beserved in little trays at each plate. E. J. A. SALTED PISTACHIO NUTS. Pistachio nuts salted are so expensive an item, but such a picturesqueaddition to the table that one should learn how to prepare them at home.Take a cupful of the shelled nuts, blanch them and after removing theskins stir in some salt and a little sweet oil—perhaps a tablespoonful. Letthe nuts stand for one-half hour, then put them in an oven to becomecrisp, but not too brown. They should be served in a tinted china dishthat harmonizes with the color of the nuts, or in a bonbon basket of fili-gree silver. A few chopped pistachios scattered thickly over a charlotterusse add to the appearance and flavor of the dessert. A. C. F. PEANUT POUND CAKE. Three large or four small eggs, a scant cupful of granulated sugar,one tablespoonful of lemon juice, one tablespoonful of ice water, one cupof sifted nut meal, one-half cupful of sliced citron, if desired, one-half to

Text Appearing After Image:
MEATS —HOW AND WHAT TO SELECT. See Chapter entitled Meats, in order to understand which pieces are most nourishing,which most strengthening, and which must desirable. NUTS AS AN ARTICLE OF DIET 449 two-thirds of a cupful of pastry flour, sifted once before measuring; salt.Have the ingredients as nearly ice-cold as possible. Sift the sugar; siftthe flour twice and leave it in the sifter. Beat the yolks of three eggs,adding sugar gradually. When stiff add part of the water and moresugar. Beat, add more water, sugar, and one-half the lemon juice untilall the sugar is in. Stir into this mixture one-half the nut meal, a goodpinch of salt and the citron. Beat the whites of the eggs to a moderatelystiff froth, with a pinch of salt. Add the remainder of the lemon juice,and beat until dry and feathery. Slide the beaten whites on the yolkmixture, sprinkle part of the nut meal over them, sift on a little flour andchop in lightly. Add more meal and flour; chop; continue until the flouris all in

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

BA – Bristol Street Directory 1871
Tagged on: