A handful of good export trading firm pictures I found:
Image from web page 468 of “The Wheel and cycling trade assessment” (1888)
Image by Internet Archive Book Pictures
Title: The Wheel and cycling trade evaluation
Year: 1888 (1880s)
Subjects: Cycling Bicycles Cyclists
Publisher: New York : Wheel and Cycling Trade Review
Contributing Library: Smithsonian Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: Smithsonian Libraries
Click here to view book on-line to see this illustration in context in a browseable on the internet version of this book.
Text Appearing Ahead of Image:
er, la., Clause I. Peter Gasper, Jr., Menominee, Mich., own re-quest. Albert Olsen, Clear Lake, la., Clause A. Oriel Morris, Indianola, la,, Clause B. C. L. Stanley, Indianola, la., Clause B. A. C. Anderson, Indianola, la., Clause B. M. E. Miller, Mechanicsville, la., Clause B. C. A. Wilson, Cedar Rapids, la., Clause B. H. H. Burnside, Cedar Rapids, la., Clause B. George H. Kern, Cedar Rapids, la., Clause B. The Southern Pacific Companys track at SantaMonica, Cal., and track of Agricultural Associa-tion, Los Angeles, are placed upon the list ofthose to which sanction privileges are denied.SANCTIONS GRANTED. November 7, Los Angeles, Cal., Los AngelesRoad Club. November 26, Los Angeles Athletic Club, LosAngeles, Cal. November 14, Cycle Track Club, El Paso, Texas. EXPORT. We need the exclusive agency of a higher-grade bicycle for the English market place. Manu-facturers who are not represented there willkindly communicate with us with no delay. AMERICAN TRADING CO., 182 Front Street, New York.
Text Appearing Right after Image:
..THE.. Crosby Pedal
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned web page pictures that may possibly have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and look of these illustrations could not completely resemble the original work.
Image by infomatique
American Apparel was founded in 1989 by Dov Charney, who had a lengthy history with t-shirts and a fascination with American culture.
It was during Charney’s freshman year at Tufts University that the firm took on the name "American Apparel" and began to experiment with screenprinting, importation and other components of the apparel organization. In 1997 after a assortment of iterations, including a period of manufacturing in South Carolina, the organization moved to Los Angeles. Charney began to sub-contract sewing with Sam Lim who, at the time, had a shop with 50 workers under the Interstate ten freeway in east LA. Months later the two became partners. In 2000 American Apparel moved into its present factory in downtown Los Angeles exactly where it continued to develop primarily as a wholesale organization, promoting blank t-shirts to screenprinters, uniform organizations and fashion brands.
Following its accomplishment as a wholesale brand, the company moved into the retail market place. The company was ranked 308th in Inc.’s 2005 list of the 500 fastest increasing organizations in the United States, with a 440% three-year growth and revenues in 2005 of over US$ 211 million.
In late 2006 American Apparel announced a reverse merger, in which Endeavor Acquisition Corp., a special-objective acquisition firm founded in July 2005, purchased the company for million. The merger closed in December 2007, at which point American Apparel became a publicly traded business. As a result, Charney became the President and Chief Executive Officer of the publicly traded organization identified as American Apparel, Inc. He remained the majority shareholder.
It is also one of the couple of companies exporting ‘Made in the USA’ goods and in 2007 sold about five million dollars of domestically manufactured clothing outside of America. The business also promotes a number of progressive policies including immigrant rights and labor policies the business dubs "sweatshop free".
Ty Coch Inn, Porth Dinllaen
Image by j.a.holland
Porthdinllaen (English Porth Dinllaen), is a small coastal village in the Dwyfor locality on the Llŷn Peninsula within Gwynedd, North Wales, previously in Caernarfonshire.
It has been owned by the National Trust considering that 1994. With views across to Yr Eifl and Snowdonia, Porthdinllaen, with Nefyn and Morfa Nefyn, kind a magnificent two miles of sweeping bay. There are only about two dozen buildings at Porthdinllaen, with the Ty Coch pub the center of the village.
Porthdinllaen was initially a fishing port, based about a natural harbour more than a mile and a quarter across, and with more than one particular hundred acres of secure anchorage. The harbour is sheltered from all but a north-easterly wind, and as the only such haven on the Llyn Peninsula, it has been utilised for many centuries of trading, and a place to run to for shelter in a storm.
In Could 1806, a parliamentary bill approved new buildings when it seemed that Porthdinllaen would be chosen over Holyhead, Anglesey, as the route to Northern Ireland. Preferred by Isambard Kingdom Brunel as his point of embarkation for his railway, the place was further west and less accessible than Thomas Telford’s road developments to Holyhead. Porthdinllaen Harbour Business was formed in 1808 in preparation by the Jones Parry family of the Madryn estate (the businesses assets included the village and the harbour), but the bill just before Parliament to constitute Porthdinllaen as a harbour for Irish trade was rejected in 1810.
Pig farming was essential to the economy of the Llyn Peninsula, and Porthdinllaen was the primary point of export to Liverpool. In 1830, the farmers and merchants asked the Madryn estate to construct a bigger pier, but they estate refused. The first steamer the “Vale of Clwyd” did not therefore enter service until 1832. Apart from goods to help the population and the farmers, Porthdinllaen imported big quantities of salt to produce the Nefyn herring.
Different proposals had been made to build railways to serve the harbour at Porthdinllaen, even though none had been at some point constructed:
1808 – Isambard Kingdom Brunel, as point of embarkation to Ireland
1830 – Samuel Holland, a slate quarry owner at Rhiw, joined Henry Archer, a businessman from Dublin, to promote the Festiniog Railway, incorporated by Act of Parliament on 23 Could 1832
1845 – The Worcester and Porth-Dynllaen Railway informed the Rev. T. Parry Jones Parry of an application to Parliament of a railway track from Worcester to Porthdinllaen
1845 – The North Wales Railway Co. planned to construct 28 miles of track from Bangor to Porthdinllaen
1860 – The Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway Company wanted to construct a line from Aberystwyth to Porthdinllaen
1877 – The Cambrian Railways Act revived the powers conferred by the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway Act 1862 for a railway to Porthdinlleyn Harbour. (data from Wikipedia)